Commissioner of Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue, Margaret S. Torrence is an elected Constitutional Official, chosen by the voters of Franklin County and serves a four year term. The Commissioner of Revenue is the chief assessing officer of local government.
We are constantly striving to improve our office with procedures to better serve the public. Our goal is to provide the highest quality service to the citizens of Franklin County and the towns of Boones Mill and Rocky Mount. The following are the responsibilities of the office of the Commissioner:
- Administering the Prepared Food and Beverage Tax as well as the Transient Occupancy tax
- Administering the Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Permanently disabled citizen
- Assessing all new construction as well as newly sub-divided parcels of real estate
- Assessing the value of personal property, business personal property, machinery and tools and merchants’ capital
- Issuing various business licenses for peddlers, dance hall, amusement machines, etc
- Maintaining the land books
- Manages the Land-Use Taxation program
- Processing Virginia State Income Tax returns and quarterly estimated tax payments
Starting A New Business in Virginia
In Franklin County every business is required to register with the Commissioner of Revenue office for local taxation. Submit a New Business Registration form to begin the process! There is no fee to register. However, certain types of businesses may require a business license. If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us at (540) 483-3083, option 2 or Email Commissioner of Revenue.
Offices to Contact When Starting a New Business
- Planning and Community Development to inquire if you need an occupancy or special use permit, short-term rental approval, and zoning regulations.
- State Corporation Commission to register a business entity or fictitious name.
- Internal Revenue Service to obtain an Employer ID number and tax information.
- Virginia Department of Taxation to register for state sales & use tax, withholding tax, and other state business taxes.
- Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation to determine if you need a state occupational and professional business license.